RMS was founded in 1965 by a group of parents dedicated to the principles developed by Dr. Maria Montessori (1870-1952). In the fifty years since its founding, the School has moved and expanded in order to accommodate its growth. The School’s growth includes:
- Its first home in Richmond’s “Fan” district in 1966
- A move to its current location on Parham Road in 1974
- The purchase of an adjacent property in 1995
- A facility expansion in 1997
- The addition of a dedicated Science building in 2004
- The purchase of the adjacent Seldondale property in 2008
- The purchase of the 501 North Parham Road campus in 2009
- The expansion of the 501 North Parham Road campus from 2012-2014
- The dedication of a new academic building on the north campus in 2014
RMS has grown from its two original classes to fourteen classes over two adjacent campuses, which serve the current program for approximately 280 students hailing from over 30 different zip codes around the Greater Richmond area. RMS admits students and administers its policies and programs without regard to race, color, religion, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, or any other protected class.
In addition to an undergraduate degree, RMS lead teachers hold AMS and/or Association Montessori International (AMI) teacher certification.
Click to enlarge a timeline of our history: