At Richmond Montessori School, we support empowered learners. Our students are inspired by their curiosity and confidence and are energized to delve deeper into their interests and passions. Our highly-trained Montessori teachers guide students through the curriculum rather than dictate what they learn and when. The result is a community of excited students and divergent thinkers. A primary student may come home wanting to continue their research into animals that live in Asia, while a middle school student might continue a conversation they had during a Socratic seminar that morning. By celebrating and encouraging the intrinsic motivation of our students, we support their growth and self-determination as lifelong learners.
At A Glance
Toddler: 8:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Primary half day: 8:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Primary full day: 8:30 a.m. – 3:10 p.m.
Elementary: 8:30 a.m. – 3:10 p.m.
Middle School: 8:10 a.m. – 3:10 p.m.
10 months: September to June
Summer Enrichment Program: June to August
Toddler (18 months-3 years): 5:1 ratio
Primary (a.m.): 5 classes; 13:1 ratio
Primary (p.m.): 5 classes; 10:1 ratio
Lower Elementary: 4 classes; 12:1 ratio
Upper Elementary: 3 classes; 13:1 ratio
Middle School: 1 class; 8:1 ratio
Montessori Enrichment Options
Early Arrival: 7:30 a.m. – 8:10 a.m.
Extended Day: 12:00 p.m. – 3:10 p.m. and/or 3:10 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Tuition ranges from $10,715 to $16,555. Tuition covers all expenses of the Montessori curriculum and specialty programs, with the exception of required grade specific fees (i.e., Technology Fee, Middle School fee).
- Harp Ensemble
- Drama Club
- Arts & Crafts
Our dual accreditation means that our school meets and exceeds the strict standards required to provide an authentic Montessori education. Richmond Montessori School is the only Montessori school in the Richmond area and surrounding counties that is fully accredited by two external organizations – the American Montessori Society (accredited since 1991) and Virginia Association of Independent Schools (accredited since 2002).
Where do our graduates go?
Richmond Montessori School graduates advance to private high schools, Governor’s schools and specialty centers at public high schools throughout the Greater Richmond area, where they are praised as confident, intelligent and independent thinkers who are self-motivated, compassionate and highly respectful of others.
High School Selections:
- Appomattox Regional Governor’s School
- Benedictine High School
- Clover Hill High School
- Clover Hill High School, Math & Science Center
- Collegiate School
- Douglas Freeman High School
- Douglas Freeman High School, Center for Leadership, Government and Global Economics
- Franklin Military Academy
- Freeman High School, Center for Leadership, Government and Global Economics
- Glen Allen High School, Center for Education and Human Development
- Godwin High School, Center for Medical Sciences
- Henrico High School, Center for the Arts
- Hermitage High School, Center for Humanities
- James River High School, Center for Leadership and International Relations
- Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School
- Midlothian High School
- Mills E. Godwin High School
- Mills E. Godwin High School, Math & Science Center
- Open High School
- Saint Gertrude’s High School
- St. Catherine’s School
- St. Christopher’s School
- The Steward School
- Trinity Episcopal School
- Trinity Episcopal School, IB Scholarship Program
- Tucker High School, IB Scholarship Program
- American University
- Amherst College
- Belmont University
- Berklee College of Music, Boston
- Brown University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Connecticut College
- College of William and Mary
- Elon University
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Emory and Henry College
- George Mason University
- George Washington University
- Hampden Sydney College
- James Madison University
- Sewannee: The University of the South
- Swathmore College
- Tufts University
- University of Alabama
- University of Arizona
- University of South Carolina
- University of Richmond
- University of Tennessee
- University of Texas, Austin
- University of Virginia
- Washington University
- Western New England College
- Wheaton College
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Tech